Friday, April 12, 2013

Nightshade series review

Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)Bloodrose (Nightshade, #3)


Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

 


I was really hoping I'd found a new series I could boast about. Although the concept of werewolves is not original, the world in which Cremer has created is somewhat unique. These are not your average run-of-the-mill howlers but something concocted by another race of beings. I liked the world she painted.

The plot was a bit predictable for me, and when I'm trying to keep focused on a read, I don't like to see what's coming. A little bit of foreshadowing is fine, especially when it's ambiguous, but too much ruins a good thing. And Nightshade had much of this.

The female character was sort of a letdown. I wanted her to be this strong woman she was depicted as being in Nightshade, but she floundered many times in Wolfsbang and in Bloodrose. Calla was indecisive, whiny, and all in all, confused. She wasn’t a leader in my opinion, just some chick who had two boys fighting after her and she was so con-fuzzled by it all she didn’t know which way was up!

The story itself was nice, but I’m over the whole love triangle thing. I think we’ve had enough of it, yes?

Overall, the ending killed it for me . . . In the interest of not ruining it for anyone who wants to give this series a chance, don’t say I didn’t warn you when you’ve read the last page and you’re left with your mouth on the floor and an incredible sense of injustice.

 Yeah, that’s how I felt . . .
 The series was entertaining yet predictable. The romance was wrought with strife and confusion. Both guys are likeable (one more than the other), so the books have that going for them. Also, the world in which she creates is original. Her writing is great, no complaints there. The ending shot my score down to a very unfavorable rating, however.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template by Delicious Design Studio